Italian Chicken with Kraut
32 oz crispy sauerkraut
2-3 boneless chicken breasts
16 oz your favorite red pasta sauce
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
Small container plain greek yogurt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Dump the sauerkraut into a collander and mash out all the liquid
3. Cut chicken breasts into portions
4. Cover bottom of dutch oven or baking dish with olive oil
5. Place chicken in bottom of dish
6. Cover chicken with a light coating of red sauce
7. Fork about half the sauerkraut evenly over chicken
8. Cover with about half the remaining red sauce
9. Add the rest of the sauerkraut, then the rest of the red sauce
10. Sprinkle or grind coarse black pepper to taste
11. Cover and bake for 80 mins at 350 degrees
Serve chicken with sauerkraut on top, with a dollop of greek yogurt.
Compliment with an artisan bread or mashed potatoes.
Notes: I like the Classico red pepper flavor of pasta sauce for this recipe but any spaghetti/pizza sauce should work. If you’re not concerned about fat content, then substitute real butter for the olive oil in the bottom of your baking dish. I’ve always served this with mashed potatoes, but it works fine with a good artisan or fresh bread.